Saturday, June 07, 2008

Friendship in the City

Last Friday night, I watched the movie Sex and the City with my dear girlfriends in Greenbelt 3, my all time favorite cinema and one of my favorite places ever. (To digress a bit, I realize that I really love watching movies in cinemas not just because of the big screen but I like having company when watching a movie so I can have someone, whose attention is undivided - save for the cellphone, to share the experience with.) 

At the end of the film, I just couldn't help but exclaim, "I love it!"

Sex and the City is not just about sex, nor about the city, and even if I couldn't relate much to their quite lavish lifestyles and fixation on all things branded and pricey, I found myself being able to relate to Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte. Why? Because I myself have what they have - girlfriends who love me and will fight for me as fiercely as if my fight was theirs too. More than the pricey goodies they splurge on, I saw that like me, the four women value their relationships with people a lot and the depiction of the relationship conflicts in the movie is so real to me, so real that I can relate to it and even draw parallelisms in my own. 

I haven't enjoyed a movie this much for quite a while... the last movie was I found really enjoyable was perhaps Stardust. It was a great evening with my girlfriends, and even if they were texting away their significant others as soon as we stepped out of the cinemas while my phone lay quiet and dim, I didn't mind. I had a spring in my step and my heart is filled with glee, confident that I have friends who love me the way Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte love Carrie. Never mind if I don't have a Mr. Big, or a Steve.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home